Hello All  I am in the process of a 750 STOL build...I have picked up a Corvair complete motor with the correct numbers etc and tore it down....I think it took only about 3-4 sizes of wrenches/sockets... those were the good ole days!!

Short of taking the core to one of the building seminars what should I look for or measure to see if its worth using this core for the build

thanks for any input

John

Views: 495

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi John - I would recommend to take that core and visit a corvair college. It is a great setup with lots of other corvair builders and pilots who can help out a lot.

I did mine that way and it's a great experience to know and learn about your own engine.

Check for details of next event on flycorvair.net

- Ramesh 

Obviously look for major damage caused by failure of rotating parts. Crankshaft journals. Rods, the case and cam for uniform wear pattern. Lifter bore damage and loose or sunken valve seats, combustion chambers as well as head gasket area.  Any heat related damage would be concerning.  Once you get that done check the crankshaft journal dimensions to see if it can be polished or if you should use it as a core. If you don't already have a William Wynne conversion manual I would get it and a 1965 corvair chassis manual right away. I'm at about the same point as you just preparing to send my crankshaft out for nitriding.

Charlie Miller

Thanks for the input...sort of what I was thinking and planning to do

I just was wondering if there is anything specific or common to the cores to initially check out

regards

John

• Hi Charles,  I would strongly recommend Azalea Aviation lovcated in GA for that “college” or as they call it a workshop since I believe the Azalea design is much more elegant and compact (yes I have a Spyder 120 Hp conversion).  You can ship your parts to Azalea and in November build your engine right at the Azalea workshop.  All parts are new except the refurbished heads, distributor and cam.  The workshop is 3 days and totally hands on and at the end you can run up your engine right then and there. Sincerely, John Minatelli

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service