Hi all,

Just started building 801 the rudder.

The first page says take the 8R2-1 Rudder Spar and the 8R2-2 Spar Doublers and "check that there is no gap between the spar flange and the Doubler (both are bent at the same angle)".

The Doubler is bent at 90degree, but one edge of the Rudder Spar is not, so there is a 1/8th inch (2~3mm) gap between the spar and the doubler.  I tried to bend the spar edge little bit inward but it was very difficult and I didn't want to force too much.

- Should I use more force to bend the spar flange to 90degree?

- Is the spar angle correctly bent from the factory?  in other words, should I unbend the doubler to match it?

- Should I continue as is and expect the gap will fix itself after rivets are set? (It feels the gap will put unnecessary force on the rivets).

thank you very much,

Erturk

Views: 213

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alright, I figured it out.  I guess this is part of the learning.   

I went to home depot and bought some steel plates used in home building.  then with vise grips, I was able to bend the edge slightly inward.  spar and the doubler match much better.  Onto drilling next :)

Attachments:

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service