My question to everyone is this: Is there anyone building or flying a 650 with a Viking 130 engine under LSA regulations? And if so, how does the CH 650 need to be configured to keep it LSA compliant?

Views: 1851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Scott,

I'm building the 650 and just put down a deposit on the 130 engine.

In answer to your question the 650 is already compliant by design and the 130 engine would not change that. It would remain in the 1320# limit and the speed limitations would be at your discretion and documented in your POH.

Good luck on your build!

And, as you progress thru your build, I hope that you are as impressed as I was with the knowledge and eagerness  to help from other forum members.

Thank you Glenn. In just 3 days on this board I have already been very impressed!

Scott, Glenn is right. The requirements for compliance with the LSA regulations are pretty straightforward:

1) The aircraft must conform to the applicable ASTM consensus standard for LSAs (Zenith has taken care of this).

2) The aircraft must, since its original certification, have met and has continued to meet the following:

Rules Summary - EAA website

As long as you don't do something to the airplane that's outside of these parameters (such as putting a constant speed prop or retractable landing gear on it) it's pretty much a sure bet the airplane will be within the rules.

Obviously, with the LSA gross weight a fixed parameter at 1,320 pounds, any weight savings on the engine installation, panel instruments, lighting, etc., will increase your payload.

Thanks again Stan for the excellent info!

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service