I am a newbie and still deciding which low wing model to begin building when I was offered locally a partly finished CH 200 kit all plans and all parts still in tact. This kit was priced rather aggressively so it would become a rather cost effective way in. Thoughts? 

Views: 2919

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dave,

These (CH200, CH250 and CH300) are older designs from Mr Heinz. They are VERY STURDY, some able to perform aerobatics easily. They are FAST and have a higher wing loading than the newer CH601nn series. My friend flies a CH250 and it is very nice; crisp and fast, pretty much what I used to fly. If you have experience with Cherokee (PA28-140/ PA28-160) you wont have any problem with the CH200/250 series planes.

The CH200/250 plane is not as forgiving as the CH601nn plane but not that difficult to fly either. Get some double with a low wing instructor; you wont regret it.

Finally, it requires a powerplant in the 120-160hp range otherwise it is too sluggish, borderline dangerous.

If the price is right, I would not hesitate.

Regards,

NormTheStorm

CH701sp, CH701SP, CH750

Thanks for the info I am leaning in that direction. Because I am planning on training in this plane would it be practical to do so?
Hi Dave,
Yes, it is always a very good idea to train in our own aircraft. Problem can be to find an instructpr willing/able to teach you in that plane. Remember, this is not a Cessna 150/172.
It may be difficult to find an instructor that knows enough the CH200/250 to teach you.
Also, you may find it difficult to get a test pilot to debug your plane. Also true for any experimental plane.
Do you know anyone with a CH200/250 plane around your location ????
It may be a good idea to have him look at your find to make sure it is well cnstructed so far...

Still, possible.
Regards,
NormTheStorm

Hello, new to the forum - not sure if anyone even reads this anymore.  Looks like last posted in 2016.  Anyways, I'm buying CH200 taildragger with an O-290 140hp engine which I plan to uprate to about 155hp with fuel injection, inverted oil and aerobatic fuel tank.  I don't intend to do any serious aerobatics with it, just have some fun in the safe zone.  Down the road I would like to take the O-290 and swap it onto my RV-3 project and put an O-320 on the CH200 turning about 180hp...that would be about right I think!!  Anyways, would love to make contact with anyone who has any experience with the 200/250, aerobatics or any flying in general.  I am aware of the two different spar types available and the weight limits for aerobatics associated with them.  I would like to find a few more airframes over time to start a small flying club here to do formation flying and so if anyone knows where any hidden gems are that are for sale I would be interested to hear about them.  Hopefully someone sees this and I can meet some pilots past and preset of the CH200/250's

I was going to join the RAA and apparently they have members that will check out every phase of construction, This kit has not had that much done to it so it is my hope that I won't have to disassemble too much to verify construction quality..as far as training, you make a great point I may have to get my ppl first. My main focus for now is enjoying the building process , how much support can I expect from zenair on this older model with respect to parts etc. ?
Hi Dave,
Joining the RAA would mean you are from Canada. These guys are able to give you a hand especially if a member has s CH2xx or built one. If you are close to Toronto, there is a group there that flies CH2xx planes they will help you. Otherwise there is a Yahoo group for these planes, you may want to check it out BEFORE you buy and ask questions there.

The MDRA are the nes who will check your project over and approuve any work done on it. Check the MDRA website, it contains a lot of information as well as costs for their services.

For support from Zenair, I'm not so sure; you may try butI would rely more on the Yahoo group. These gus are REALLY knowledgeable and just LOBE their planes. They will help gladly and I would try there also.
Regards,
NormTheStorm
CH701sp, CH701SP, CH750

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service