Fellow Z'ster's

I am considering the purchase of a light weight travel cover for my 750...wondering if it is robust enough for more than just an occasional road (air?) trip. https://www.aircraftcovers.com/Z750  The light weight cover is 5# versus 10# for the regular cover. Anyone have any experience with the covers?  They seem to enjoy a good reputation, but would like some actual input from the field!  Thanks! 

Dave (the 42 hr now out of Phase I testing STOL 750 pilot)

Views: 354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bought the light one but haven't used it yet. I'm afraid of the wind blowing it around and grit getting underneath. I planned to use mine on trips. To tell you the truth, I'm torn between a cover and a sheet on the inside when it's not in the hangar.

W

Thanks Wayne, I hear you on the grit being an issue when trapped between the cover and the windscreen,etc.  In that regard, maybe the heavier version would be better.  I am looking to keep bird crap, pine pitch, pollen, frost, etc off the  sunroof and windscreen while camping out.  I think a simple foldable sun reflector (like they use on cars) on the inside would help with protecting the panel and interior stuff.

Dave

Dave,

I have the Bruce travel model cover and have used it about 6-8 times when traveling to the outer banks of North Caroline. Its windy there quite often, being right off of the ocean. I've never had any grit problems.

It can be hard to control the cover when trying to install it yourself in the wind. I would suggest that during the test install, you put an orientation mark on the cover so that it is easier to position the cover thereafter. The cover is nice and snug after installing the stretchable straps so I don't believe a thicker cover would help if there was any grit blowing around.

I've been very pleased with the cover.

Jim

Thanks Jim, appreciate the insight.

Dave

Be careful to measure it carefully. The staff leaves something to be desired. They made mine a bit off, but I'm eating it because I don't want to get my blood pressure up.

Out here in the dry and windy West, grit will be an issue.

I would still use the cover, but I've been thinking of having some exterior window covers made up from old sheets in multiple sets so I can attach them with velcro before putting the top on. That way, I can just change them out after a sandstorm. Yes, I'm paranoid about scratches. Back East, sandstorms might not be an issue, depending upon whether or not you're landing on the beach or farm fields.

Yes, the sun reflector is a good idea, but I would use a cover too for longer periods of being tied down.

W

Wayne, I would hope for the price that fitment issues are nonexistent ;)

They blamed it on me for not measuring properly. I didn't want to fight it out with them.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service