i have been a user of Brackett foam filters for years, at my just completed annual, 12 months, 65 hours I found my BA-4108 severely disintegrated. This was not visible from the front of the filter, only when I removed it. See the photos. I inspected my carb and intake tube and found no contamination. I was very lucky to catch it in time. Engine is a Continental O-200.

i contacted Brackett, Scott, the head guy was very concerned, he offered to pay to inspect the carb and intake for contamination. He informed me that he has had only one similar complaint, and the aircraft was based in Florida, as I am. Could this be some kind of reaction to the salty, humid air, I don’t know. I am only a couple of miles from the ocean.

Scott asked to have the filter sent to him, I wouldn’t be surprised to see an AD or service bulletin about this. 

I am putting this out there for all this f you to check your Brackett foam filters, especially if you are in a coastal region. I will be changing mine bi-anully from now on, they are cheap enough.

David Krakowsky

N601XP

Views: 595

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do these have a date on the package?  Could it have been on shelve somewhere for years?

Hi joe
They have an expiration date that’s good for four years
Mine was well within the date
Dave

Looks like it could be burnt as the result of an engine backfire?

I've got a Brackett filter assembly. This happened to me about a year ago. You cannot tell by looking at it, as you found out. It disintegrates once you start to remove it. When it happened to me, I had a couple of Brackett filters in stock. I opened one up to find it was also disintegrated. The next one was good. Now I order 2 at a time and replace every 6 months. I've been trying to find a paper element that fits the Brackett filter assembly, something along the lines of a K&N type filter.

Hi Jimmy,  2 filters are available from A/S.

K&N type is a Challenger CP-1150 for 204.95, cleanable. They do wear out also over time.

I am now using the Donaldson filter at A/S for 99.95, 

Go to the Donaldson web site and review the flow tests, thats why I am using the Donaldson.

Comes out about the same as the bracket filter due to the service life and no mess.     Jim

PS: Donaldson Aerospace and Defense

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service