Have any of y'all safely saved a chunk of $ by opting for something other than the $1,000++++ aviation models?

With respect to safety, how much latitude is there with respect to pressure and other differences in fuel pump design?

My own case is an IO-240 (fuel-injected) in a 750/2.

Views: 510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've got an IO-240B in my Kitfox, and I use a Weldon 8163A, I've heard there are some decent pumps from Summit Racing

that will go to the higher pressure that should work. I had a Holley Blue until test flight four, when the O-Ring on the

engine driven pump failed the pump cavitated, then I learned 12-14 psi wasn't gonna run my engine. You need 20+

PSI on the IO-240B. Lower pressure will work for priming, but not run the engine. The 8163A I have would probably

not run run the engine at full power, but probably get me enough power to make an airport. Running the IO-240B

on the electric pump would be a trick, you would have to go full mixture and then tweak throttle to find the sweet

spot to run the engine, then reduce mixture and throttle to slow it down, again finding the sweet spot, etc, etc.

Since the variable output of the engine driven pump normally regulates pressure (and consequently mixture)

would be lost regulating power would be tricky. BUT I think you could do it.

Go to www.teamkitfox.com and search the archives there's been several IO-240B fuel pump threads over there.

Regards,

Jeff Hays

Thanks, Jeff, this is really helpful.

Have you run your engine on the pump alone? That is, is it good for backup?

Regards,

Wayne Tyson

Wayne,

Here's a pump that looks like it might be a good candidate, I would plumb it with a

check valve in parallel to allow free flow of fuel when the pump is not running. Now remember

these pumps have (two) purposes - Priming, and Emergency backup. If you run an electric

pump while the engine driven pump is running, you will probably flood the engine. SO

you don't want to run this pump at other times.  

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrf-mp-4601/overview/

Regards,

Jeff

Thanks. Good information.

WT

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Weather Maps

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, power distribution panel, Approach Fast Stack harnesses, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Custom Upholstery Kits for your Zenith Aircraft:

Zenith Vinyl Upholstery Kits

Zenith Apparel from EAA:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

West Coast USA:

Transition Training:

Wheels & Wings

Pro Builder Assistance

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

© 2019   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service