Hey guys I have a zodiac xlb with a jabiru 3300, right now I have one CHT probe on number 3 and no EGT. I want to have CHT and EGT on all cylinders. I was going to go with the GRT m6000 kit. The kit is approximately $1150 and I think it's worth it. Does anybody have a better solution or bang-for-the-buck. it will also monitor my oil temp and oil pressure with the sensors that I already have on my engine

Views: 881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're certainly on the right track to want to monitor all 6 cylinders!  I also have a Jab 3300 and I initially had a GRT 6000 and it probably is the best bang for the buck.  However, it began to look dated once I installed a MGL XTreme mini-EFIS so I also got the MGL XTreme EMS for engine instrumentation.  To me, the graphical display of the MGL EMS is much easier to interpret than the alpha-numeric data from the 6000.  I don't know if the latest model is any different, but my 6000 did have a sort of dot-matrix graphic display for EGT and CHT, but it was so small and difficult to read that I never looked at.

Original panel:

XTreme EMS:

Present Panel:

Of course, the XTreme mini-EFIS is capable of displaying both flight and engine instrumentation, but that's an awful lot of data for the small screen of the mini-EFIS but if you went that route, it's probably the best bang for the buck if you need the flight instrumentation, too, plus it has a built-in GPS navigator.

There's nothing wrong with the GRT 6000, however, if you're on a tight budget.  But whatever you do, get 6 probe EGT/CHT capability!

John

N750A

Hi john, I decided to go with the mgl extreme ems for now. The EFIS looks good for the money as well, but like you say that’s to much info for one small screen. I have a six pack so flight instrumentation is good for now. I have been keeping up with your past and present posts on the jab 3300. I like the small ring cht probes you have mounted on the cylinder head instead of the spark plug ring. I want to do that. My question is this, should I purchase the actual 12 mm rings and cut them down and drill, or have you found a better probe.? Let me know. I also friended you. Thanks Jeff Herman ,pa

Jeff,

I just cut down my plug ring probes and drilled them since I already had them and they work great.  If you have to buy all the probes anyway, it would of course be nice to get some with a small ring so they wouldn't have to be modified.

You might talk to Matt at MGL support to see if there is a recommended probe with a small ring for mounting directly to the cylinder head.

John

Have you looked at the JPI EDM-350?

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service