Hello all,

It's time for me to choose a battery for my UlPower 260. I am trying to choose between Acid battery or Lithium. What are you guys using for your planes? What brand of battery would you guys recommend. I am also thinking of using 2 batteries for redundancy. What are your thoughts on that?

Views: 1417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On my CruZer with a 350is I have one Odessey battery on the engine side of the firewall.  I have also upgraded to a more robust R/R over the factory supplied one.  Regarding location/heat and looking over previous comments.  I noticed a couple of different engines referenced and there is something else to consider.  My UL engine (like most) are small and sit a good ways from the firewall (mine is 16" from the back of the engine to the firewall), heavier engines are often larger and sit much closer to the firewall which would radiate more heat towards a battery mounted on it.  I have had no issues with my battery take a look at a couple of videos I uploaded to Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7GTnjW9Ef-ZE65yjwW4LIQ) to see my setup.

Thanks for all the input.  I was leaning toward the EarthX battery, now I'm still undecided about 1 or 2 batteries.  Anyone using a CAPACITOR instead of the 2nd battery?

What do you think about the 30A fuse before the Master Switch?  Fuse or Breaker?

I think the idea of using a capacitor is to stabilize the power from the alternator in the event of battery failure, whereas a 2nd battery would supply reserve power/ redundancy for a battery and/or alternator failure. Are builders 

that have a 2nd battery not using the UL recommended capacitor? I am at this point of construction and struggling 

with the same decision. Also the use of a fuse or breaker and location. UL manual suggests 40A between battery and buss. Composite Design suggests as an option a fuse between regulator and amp shunt.  

Yes, I understand it and plan to install 2 batteries and a capacitor. I have an older ULpower 260is with a black box ECU and the manual suggests a 30A fuse. I think David can give me the best advice because he also has the ECU in a black box. I would prefer circuit breakers instead of a fuse but I don't want to make a mistake

Sorry about some technical difficulties in my previous reply.

@Dean - Yes, I understand it and plan to install 2 batteries and a capacitor.

I have an older ULpower 260is (SN# 124105) with a black box ECU and the manual suggests a 30A fuse or should I go with the upgraded 40A fuse? I would prefer circuit breakers instead of a fuse but I don't want to make any mistake.

I'm running two EarthX ETX680C batteries, mounted about halfway between the belly hatch and the tail of my 601XL.

- Pat

For those using earthx batteries, do you have overvoltage protection in the event of regulator failure?

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service