My Odyssey battery is weak at 60 hours on the Hobbs, but it's about 2 1/2 years old. It's always been on the battery minder.

Anybody else have this problem?

If I have to replace it, I'm thinking of getting a LiFePo, but am re-spooked by all the fire publicity. Does any manufacturer guarantee their product won't burn in aircraft use? What would constitute misuse?

WT

Views: 966

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the blowtorch idea, but my old one (if I can find it) is pretty heavy. Still, if that many (?) BTUs are needed, the deciding factor might be the amount required weighed against the weight/output ratio. It would seem that some kind of blower might be needed, and there's the concern about fire.

I'm looking into backpacking stoves, which will have less heat output, but may be adequate when the ambient temperature is higher. Being able to use propane or 100LL might be an advantage. I don't know whether the flexible 4" dryer exhaust hose could be attached directly to the heat source, but maybe combined with a short length of stovepipe . . . ?

Still musing . . .

I too have an odyssey that has weakend and won't turn my Jabiru engine unless it is fresh off my trickle charger. It is about 3 years old and still tests good though cca is only slightly lower. Ive only flown 25 hours withit and was intinterested in Batteries Plus who sells a LiFeP4 that is virtually the same size but one fourth the weight and more cca. Guess I'm just hesitant until someone else says they have tried it. Don't know if my Odyssey charger would also work on it. John Richardson

I suspect that the Odyssey charger would not work for the LiFeP4. John Austin is happy with his EarthX. It may be more money, but if it's less likely to burn, it would seem to be a bargain . . .

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service