I had recently removed the front slats, i am looking for some input from others,i know zenith does not recommend this but it flies so nice without them i gained 10 mph aswell ,criuse now almost 90 before around 80 ,thx

Views: 514

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lots of debate on this which could be found IF the search engine was working!!!  I've heard tons of stories that it flies fine without them, you just lose some of that famous STOL angle without them and it's apparently WAY easier to land without them since the approach angle is much more conventional without them...  How did your CG change without the slats?

Well documented, started in Australia a few back. Most all those removing slats installed a variety of VG's. Like other VG co's. available, CCI of N.J., Harrison Designs of Kootenai, Idaho, Zenith sell their metal VG's in a 1 pc. pr. Metal for the later vs. plastic for the former. Metal Zenith  VG kit good-  a little easier when fueling.....  Ability to land w/a little less power w/a glide slope - w/o sink rate when chopping power. Chris was opposed to the ideology, per modifying design. ..but that's the difference between E.A.B. vs. SLSA/ELSA. 

Joseph,

I used to read report on this at stolspeed dot com. You may want to look it up.
I myself 'got a ride' in a 701 with slats off one time. Since we did not shoot for STOL operation, we did not notice anything negative.

Champ
I much prefer the way my 701 flies without slats. I suggest you read and think about the material on the Australian website http://stolspeed.com/
if you haven't already done so. My own experience is consistent with the Australian results in all three configurations: With slats, without, and no slats with VG's.

Interestingly I haven't noticed a different trim requirement in flight with vs without slats.

Philip

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service