Hi, All;

I was just wondering if anyone has any good ideas for securing cables in the aft fuselage to keep them from flopping around and being abraded.  I have the ELT, the comm right behind the baggage compartment, and the trim servo cable.

I thought I'd try the HBH tip of running them in the troughs in each longeron, but they still flop around with any movement.

I have those black self-stick pads through which you snake a zip tie to hold the cable, but even cleaning the surface well, they still come off with time.

I really don't want to use adel clamps since there will still be quite a distance between them if mounted to the vertical and diagonal L-angles.

So...any hints?  Thanks!

Views: 326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used Zip Tie adhesive mounts and a zip tie.

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Backed-Mounts-Nova-Supply-Professio...

Something like this. A&P who looked at what I did said he used them as well for low load stuff like that.

Yup that’s what I have. Just wanted something with longer lasting adhesive. 

I used 3M adhesive zip tie mounts in accessible areas, but found with heat and time they sometimes came loose.  It's always best to rivet them if possible, but if not, I use 3M 03601 Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive and I haven't had one come loose yet!

John

N750A

Thanks, John! You knew exactly what I was talking about!  Thanks for the product recommendation. My local Autozone has it so I'll pick some up today!

Carl,

I am using a High-Temp Split Loom to run my wiring through.
This Loom is very light weight and can be secured any way you want.

This is where I found it:

https://www.delcity.net/store/High!Temp-Split-Loom/p_811350

Earnie

I ran mine in the channel with some high temp silicone adhesive.  I figure if I had to get the wire out later it would come out with a little tug. Just some intermittent dollops to hold it down.  Works great. 

Worked for me too. Five years, nothing loose .

Del

N364DC

I was thinking about doing this as well, but figured someone would pooh-pooh it.  Did you run more than one cable in  each longeron slot?  I have the comm antenna, ELT antenna, and the trim wiring.

Carl,

Oh for sure someone will "pooh-pooh" it, but that's  ok. 

I had only the nav-light, trim and master relay wiring. (CH750 w/O235 battery is in tail for W&B) It worked great for me. (Battery  cable used clamps)

Del

To be clear, I used the zip-tie hold-downs in situations where a wire/cable had to run across a panel such as to the ELT antenna, etc.  I ran my elevator trim wires in the channel formed by the longeron where it bends 90 degrees.  I found that a 3/8" (I think!) split wire loom fits perfectly in the channel and ran that down the channel with the wires inside.  A dab of silicon adhesive was put at the fore and aft ends to ensure the loom didn't move.  Work's great and having the loom means you could attach a pull-string to a defective wire and pull a new one.  One tip I recommend is to run a pull-string whenever you're putting wiring in a conduit or loom so you can pull new wires - technology changes so quickly who knows what gadget you'll need wiring for next?  ;>)

John

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service