I am just wiring up my Jabiru gen 4 to the regulator and have a question about which wire goes to #1 on the regulator and which wire goes to #2 on the regulator. I have two wires coming off the back of the engine from the alternator but they are not identified at all. One wire goes to a shunt mounted on back of the engine and the other wire is just free with a connector on the end of it. I assume the wire to the shunt is the output voltage but which contact on the regulator does that go to? 

Thanks !

Rich

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the wires are the same color, I am fairly confident that they are the AC output of the alternator and it won't matter which wire goes to 1.  On the diagrams I have, the two wires go to 1 and 3 on the regulator. 2 is tied to ground.

I'm positive (pun intended! LOL!) that you're correct, Doug - the two wires are AC output and it doesn't matter which way they are connected to 1 & 3.

You are so bad!  

Do you know why one of the wires goes to a .5 ohm shunt and not the other then? I assume that I must connect from the other terminal of the shunt to pin #1 on the regulator and the loose wire to the #3 pin.

I wonder of the 0.5 ohm resistor was used to measure current.  Doesn't really make sense though.  If you were drawing 20 amps (Max for stock regulator) there would be a 10 volt drop across that resistor.

I called Jabiru in Australia and found out that the module is a thermal overload switch. I guess it cuts off 

alternator current if excessive. Thanks for the info guys !

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service