I was told to wait until September. Is the rebate program gone? What's your experience with yours?

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In my situation I had garmin aera 796, gtx330 transponder, and garmin gdl39 ads in. The cheapest adsb out solution was skyguard twx, I love the weather and especially feel the full ads-b traffic (without waiting for equipped trigger aircraft) makes it worthwhile. I bought last Christmas no rebate

they got xmas sale now http://adsb.skyguardtwx.com/uatessquawk-transceiver-model/

oops I meant older gtx327 transponder

Since I already had an iFly 740 moving map and a Sandia 165R digital transponder, it seemed a no-brainer for me install a NavWorx ADS600-EXP to get ADSB in-and-out.  As I understand it, ADSB equipment installed by a homebuilder in an EAB does NOT qualify for the government rebate. However, the non-TSO'd equipment is much less expensive than certified units, so the DIY savings is far greater than the $500 rebate. (I think I spent about $1600 for the NavWorx ADS600-EXP, AV-74 antenna, and TransMonSPE)

After getting the unit, I elected not to hard-wire it to my transponder (I didn't want to risk damaging the professionally built wiring harness), so I elected to pop for the $200 TransMonSPE dongle which clips on the transponder's antenna cable to sniff the squawk code, altitiude, etc.  This made the installation so simple I'm glad I went this route.  Basically you route power, GPS antenna cable, ADSB antenna cable, clip the TransMonSPE on the transponder antenna cable, install the ADSB antenna and GPS antenna (the GPS antenna sits on the glareshield alongside my other GPS antenna) and you're done.The NavWorx provides weather and traffic data to my IFly via WiFi and this works very reliably.

The only glitch right now is that NavWorx appears to be in some serious disagreements with the FAA!  The FAA has issued an AD on a couple of their certified models and the EXP unit.  The FAA contends the certified units don't have the proper certified internal GPS.  However, the EXP unit doesn't have to have a certified GPS source, it just has to meet the performance standards of the certified units, which the FAA already said it does! I think the EXP unit might be dropped from the AD after the comment period, but if it isn't, NavWorx has already said they'll make things right ... I just hope this adverse publicity doesn't deep six the company as I'm sure their sales are probably minimal 'til this mess is all resolved!

In summary, I'm very pleased with the NavWorx ADS600-EXP, but now I'd obviously wait and see how the AD is resolved before purchasing one.

John

N750A

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Weather Maps

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, power distribution panel, Approach Fast Stack harnesses, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Custom Upholstery Kits for your Zenith Aircraft:

Zenith Vinyl Upholstery Kits

Zenith Apparel from EAA:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Transition Training:

Pro Builder Assistance

Pro Builder Assistance

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

© 2019   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service