hey guys, I have been working on the root nose rib (making wooden forms). I have addition 3 plans for the 750.  I'm missing something or my plans have an error in them, it just won't lay out right, have any of you had the same problem.

Views: 363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ronald,

Are you talking about part # 75W4-1 (L/R Nose) ?  or 75W4-2 (L/R Rear rib)? I don't see any revisions to that part throughout the 3 editions.  The tables for both parts are both labeled as "Root Nose Rib Form Block", which may be leading to the confusion.  The one on the right (712 mm long) should  have been labeled "Root Rear Rib".

Have you worked with charts that had two Y axes? (Y1 and Y2)  That could also be were the plans were misinterpreted.  On the rear root rib there is a curve on the top and the bottom, which is why you need two Y axes.

The flange is also angled at 30 degrees.

Could you explain a bit more about what doesn't look right?

James

the part is 75w4-1,  when I lay out ,using the coordinates on the plan nothing seems to work    it is to long and has dip in the top cord.  but looking at the thread it seems that everybody is remaking that rib. I guess that is why they call us the manufactures,  in the thread they are talking about fitting the nose skin that is predrilled but you can see by the pictures that they have all remade the rib 75w4-1   I'm interested in your thoughts  thanks   Ron

Hi Ronald, I noticed a couple things when I put mine together.  First thing was the x=45 point does not meet up with the 27mm radius, I connected the two with a line that blended into both curves (draw a curved line tangent to both curves). I confirmed this is normal with the factory.  Second issue noted was with the rear root rib form block placed in line with the root nose rib, the top curve of the rear rib will not blend smoothly to the nose rib, according to the factory this is normal, I looked at the factory demo plane and sure enough, you can see the transition in the root skin, does not look bad enough to force me to change anything.  The root rear rib changed in edition 3 to provide added headroom, the previous rear rib curve matched up better with the nose.  Hope this helps, if not let me know.  Thanks,  Clint

Hi Clint, that's pretty much the same thing I have done. have you or are you  going to install the root skins or  as you build the wing or put them on when the wing is installed?   A question not related to this,  when you riveted the top and bottom spar caps, did you alternate between top and bottom or finish one cap and go on to the next? thanks again for all the help.  Your pictures have been a real help.  ron

Hi Ron,  I plan to fit the root skins when the wing is attached to the fuselage.  When riveting the spars, I cleco'd every other hole in both the top and bottom spar caps, riveted the open holes on the top and bottom, removed clecos and went around again.  I see no issue with completeing one whole side before you do the other, my method just seemed to make sense to me at the time.  Good luck!

This thread may have some pertinent and useful info: http://www.zenith.aero/group/stolch750/forum/topics/wing-root-skins

thanks Jo it really does help

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service