The wing tips I purchased from Zenith are not fiberglass but I guess a soft molded plastic of some sort.  Does anyone know what type of epoxy or glue that can be used to hold an aluminum backing strip on these?  I don't know if other model tips are fiberglass or not but mine aren't.

Views: 318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Answered my own question.  Sanded a piece of scrap plastic and aluminum, mixed some Loctite 2 part, 5 minute epoxy I had and glued.  Holds fine for my purposes but if anyone knows for sure please comment.

Tim,

I think it is a wise move to aluminum back for the rivets which go into the "thermo-formed" wingtips.  I had to drill out a few rivets on my wingtip to add shims and the tail end of the replacement rivets would only minimally (if at all) hold into previously drilled hole without.  Wish I had done so around entire edge of the wingtip.  Oh well, if I ever remove it, I will have my chance...

Dave

Hey Dave, l noticed when using clecos that a few would not hold (pilot size) so thought it might be a good idea.  Sorry to hear your trouble.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service