I can certainly understand the need to maintain the proper/specified cable tensions in the various control systems to reduce the possibility of flutter. The only spec. requirement that bothers me is for the Rudder Cable system. I own and fly a tail dragger version of the XL and there really isn't much of a way to control this cable system tension. The right and left pedals are independently connected directly to the rudder and are not interconnected. Tension can vary from very light in normal flight (or zero when the autopilot is engaged and no feet are on the rudder pedals) to relatively high depending on how much braking action is used or how exciting/tense your landing may turn out to be. (It's a tail dragger remember.)

Jim Timm

Views: 824

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the factory needs to come up with a fix for this problem. A balance system needs to be addressed by Zenith. I am sure they are reluctant to do this because of liability potential and the appearance that the design is not sound the way it is, but two solutions to a problem is always better. I have tried to make as many things redundant in my plane as possible, so why shouldn't we have both the tension and a balance design.

Sam Birchill
Tail Dragger also
Sam, I agree, Zenith does need to acknowledge the problem and recommend a fix other than just cable tension alone. I also concur that they may be reluctant to make other recommendations for the reasons you stated. Redundancy is usually good idea if it's possible. In this case, balanced control surfaces and cable tension or balanced surfaces and the use of push rods in place of cable??

What ever it is I hope the issue gets resolved in a timely fashion so we can get back to flying safely and in a peaceful state of mind.

Jim Timm
European/Zenair AD addresses Aileron tension because of flutter in the wing. To my knowledge there is no issue with the rudder in flutter.
Hi Jim
Drawing as promised.

Regards
Phill

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service