I have a 601HD tail kit and hope to finish the rudder up this weekend.  Everything is clear except the installation of rib 4 at the top of the rudder. The 601HD spar does not have pre-drilled holes in the spar for rib 4 although the instructions say they are there.  By the way the instructions that came with the HD kit are 601XL instructions for some reason. Also the drawings do not have the length up the spar for positioning the tab that holds the fourth  rib. I have seen a video that  shows rib 4 should have a clearance of 1 to 3 mm from the top of the spar. Just hoping someone knows where I can drill the two holes in the spar. Distance from top or bottom of the spar. Would feel better with an actual dimension. Thanks!

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hello, Richard

The HD instructions aren't much better - see picture.
All you need is to pay attention to edge distance.

A good reference is Larry McFarlane (sp?) web site: http://macsmachine.com

Good luck
Attachments:

This was very helpful - thanks, got the rudder assembled - so on to the stabilizer!

I agree with Carlos, the HD instructions aren't very good.  They do not have a dimension on them.  Just pay attention the the edge distance and make it look like Carlos's attached image.

Here are the best photos I have the rudder skeleton assembly.  They aren't very good, but I hope they help.

The reason your instructions are for an XL is that the XL and HD rudders are the same.

Nothing on the HD is predrilled.  It makes it interesting and makes for a lot of head scratching time.  I wasn't bald before starting my HDS.  I am now.

Jerry

Thanks - I got the rudder together today! Helped to have the pictures and manual reference.  On to the horizontal stabilizer!

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service