looking at 601hd with side opening canopy and subaru a81 engine,I understand there have been issues with this canopy,any info on this or engine would be greatly appreciated. first zenith so any thing will help  

Views: 342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a side opening canopy and have had no issues. Like anything, if built properly and used properly you should be fine. Now if you want to leave it open and unattended on a windy day you may have an issue. :) 

Thanks Chris,will not leave it open .

The side opening canopy had several occurrences of coming unlatched on one side during flight.  This caused the canopy to unattach itself from the plane.  When it did this it hit the rudder damaging the rudder.  On the Zenith builder site, Zenith posted a service bulletin that called for the hooks on both sides to be lengthened so that it made the unlatching more unlikely.  I would definitely discuss this with the owner of the plane you are looking at.

The Subaru had some quality issues and there were several engine failures due to rocker arm/cam problems.  The person who was supplying the modified motors went out of business many years ago.  Not sure where you would get support now.

If I were to buy this airplane, I would want to get it cheap.  I would then change out the motor and convert the side opening canopy to the front hinged canopy.  I fly a 601HDS that I converted to front hinge canopy and it has a Rotax 912ULS motor.  I love it.

Got 601 xlb tail jab 3300 only37 hrs has current condition inspection with wig and canopy safety mods

I'm not tail cert selling for deceased partner located Chatta Tn    call me 423 309 6077  phil dugan  

philipdugan1@msn.com

I believe there is a for sale area to list this plane and more information.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service