I've published a blog "uAvionix skyBeacon ADSB-OUT Installation and Review" that is an installation tutorial and review of the new "skyBeacon" ADSB-OUT transmitter.

John

N750A

Views: 1207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just to close the loop on this, today I spoke with Kurt from uAvionix Tech Support and he informed me that the SkyBeacon should not be mounted on an angle like the wingtip recess of the 601. They recommend mounting it as close to horizontal as possible. He recommended instead using the echoUAT with SkyFyX EXT and explained that it’s a simple installation with the added benefit of ADS-B in for less money. I took his advice and ordered the bundle from AircraftSpruce this evening. 

Jim

... and just some further clarification about mounting.  I was beta-testing a pre-production skyBeacon and originally tried mounting it on my STOL 750's wingtip where the strobe normally mounts.  This does place the skyBeacon at an angle and not perfectly horizontal.  However, as far as GPS reception and ADSB-out broadcasting, it seemed to work fine in this position.  There was an issue, however, with erratic reception of my transponder for squawk and baro altitude information.  I don't think this was due to the angle of tilt, but rather that the relatively "thick" metal wing was blocking line-of-sight transponder reception.  I ultimately re-mounted the skyBeacon on a "pod and boom" mount I fabricated - a little funky looking, but hey, funky looks is what the STOL 750 is all about and besides, the price was right!  ;>)

This worked perfectly! HOWEVER, uAvionix later changed the method of transponder reception and baro altitude data generation.  As I understand it, it now has an internal altitude encoder and syncs the transponder squawk through the existing nav light wiring (they call it a "power transcoder") rather than the wireless over-the-air reception that my pre-production unit uses.  Therefore, one should be able to mount the skyBeacon on the wingtip as originally designed/intended and since the units now have an internal strobe, replace the existing strobe.  I really don't think the few degrees angle of tilt will present a problem - if it did, one would simply need to mount it horizontally in the same location.  That would probably require some new mounting holes (I was primarily utilizing my existing strobe mount holes and thus the tilt), but that would not be a difficult modification.

I think the new skyBeacons are a good "bang for the buck" as you're getting a strobe and nav light along with the ADSB-out.  They also now have a matching nav light and strobe ("skyLight") for the opposite wing or the same unit plus wireless ADSB-in ("skySensor").

John

(uAvionix beta tester, but no financial/business affiliation with uAvionix)

Long-Term (4 years!) Update - I had just come back from the long (400 nm) cross-country to the Zenith Homecoming fly-in and decided to pull a PAPR report to check on my pre-production skyBeacon.  To my surprise,  instead of a report, I got a notice that the FAA "had no record of my flight!"  I went out and flew a short test flight and again, "no record of the flight."  The pre-production skyBeacon has a red LED in it's fin that blinks if there is an internal failure, and sure enough, it was blinking.  I used the uAvionix installation app to determine it was no longer getting a GPS fix and consequently, not squawking-out the ADSB data stream

I could hardly complain about the failure since I was given the unit free to beta test!  I contacted uAvionix and was told that since my skyBeacon was a pre-production unit, it was not repairable.  My pre-production skyBeacon was succeeded by the production model (skyBeacon TSO) which was quite different - the new model has an internal baro altitude encoder and no longer depended on the transponder squawk for that information, it also detects the transponder code squawk through the nav light wiring instead of wirelessly through an antenna, has a LED strobe, and I was told the sealing of the unit was improved.

Since my skyBeacon was not repairable, uAvionix support offered me a new skyBeacon TSO for 50% off!  Since it has an identical footprint to my old skyBeacon, this made for an easy re-installation on my pod and boom mount I already had.  The best part was that when I installed the new unit, I got a perfect PAPR report the very first try - and this was despite flying in an ADSB fringe reception area.

So, happy to report that the present-production skyBeacon TSO seems to be a much-improved product and that uAvionix support is fantastic!

John

Yes and yes

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service